Sunday, October 12, 2008

It's Easier to Write About Love...

when you're not in love.

Jane Austen is the romance writer. She set the standard as to what a romance novel should be and her books are not as tacky as modern romance novels. Seriously, pick up any modern romance novel and in the first two pages you'll see how much the lead female character is a doormat.

The odd thing about Ms. Austen is that she never married. As to whether or not she had a romance of her own, it is not my place to speculate. But Ms. Austen was on to something. It's much easier to write about love and commitment when you're not in love or bound to it.

For writers, that statement seems completely contradictory because every writer has heard the 'ole "write about what you know" saying. Writing about you're own relationships is much simpler than fabricating your own but it makes it harder to romanticize a romance.

I love and adore my darling but before we got together I would envision all these tripped out scenarios me and a possible lover would find ourselves in. I didn't stop to think about the trivial things that actual lovers argue about. Everything was a product of my own design and nothing could go wrong. Now if only real life could go that way. My darling isn't going to bust into my home and steal me away to a mansion in Paris as a fictional character would. *sigh* Things look much better on paper.

Of course, I can't always criticize reality because sometimes it just provides great moments that need to be immortalized on paper.

No comments: